Trials HD is a 2.5d physics based motorcycle game. The aim is to get the rider from the start to the end of the level in the fastest time. As a level designer working on the DLC packs, we had just 10-12 kilobytes to make a track that looked great, played well, and performed well. File sizes were so small to ensure that each level loaded extremely fast upon reloading the game from the start or from a checkpoint.
- Designing the driving lines from paper to release
- Decorating the levels to a high standard, while keeping within the limits of the file size and performance requirements.
- Ensure difficulty was fair and specific to each category within the game i.e Beginner/Easy/Medium/Hard/Extreme.
- Attention to detail in play-testing each level and fellow colleagues work.
- Using the in-game editor to a high standard, especially when using triggers and physics based obstacles.
- Above all, made sure the level was fun!